Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 30-b. I've got a tiger in my tank

One for the road....

My mother doesn't like Keith Urban. A little too.. I don't know, she just doesn't like him. But I do. I don't care that he's a recovering druggie and married to Tom Cruise's ex-wife. His music makes me a happy camper.

I mean... who else could write a 'one chord song' and make it sound good? :P

But probably my favourite is the one about the blue jeans... :D



mmhmmm...

I've got money in my pocket, a tiger in my tank and I'm king of the road again!

Maybe, just maybe, its cause he does the 'chh, chh' thing which reminds me of a camp song. hahaha... Beaver one, beaver all, lets all do the beaver call chh chh, chh chh! Oh yeah... that's the good stuff.


Where was I going with this? yeah, I don't know.

So. Today is Ash Wednesday. I work at a Catholic Church, so there were a lot of people wandering around with ashes on their foreheads today. I managed to go ash-free yet again. Not that I'm against it, I just didn't grow up in an overly liturgical church, so the whole church calendar thing is sort of a mystery to me. One of my co-workers said that today is the day that we all look like a bunch of ashes. *groan*

Lent. Lent, lent, lent... what to do?
So, I've been reading a lot of Catholic propaganda lately - again, has something to do with where I work. Now, I don't read this stuff very carefully, but it sounds like that for a very long time the Catholic church has been leaning towards 'what can you DO for Lent?' - like... bettering yourself, or charity-wise. But this year, they're really focusing on 'what can you sacrifice for Lent?' They're focusing on fasting (or giving something up, or sacrificing) as being a way to realigne yourself with God, and to be truly thankful for what you do have.

I've been coming up against this fasting thing over and over and over again, and I'm starting to think that maybe its something I should actually do this year. I usually ignore Lent. Or, do the 'I'll give up donuts, even though I don't eat them anyway', thing.

Usually I try to tackle at least one of the gospels during Lent. This year, I think I'm going to do some reading through Paul's letters - starting with Philipians, the 'book of joy'. We'll see where that gets me.

As for the fasting thing... I've been thinking about it a lot. Considered the 40 days of water challenge. Decided that its not quite right for me - I drink mostly water as it is anyway, but am super proud of those people who have decided to take that challenge! I'm thinking something a little more extreme for me. Chocolate. Chocolate is my best friend, and I think I'll set it aside for the next 40 days. With a few conditions that you'll have to excuse me for: a) I'm going to continue eating my chocolate chip granola bars because I have a brand new box of them and am not going to go buy another chocolate-free box and b) Sundays don't count - I can eat as much chocolate on Sundays as I want.

So, bible reading and no chocolate until Easter. And... GO! (man, I really wish I didn't have an entire container of Cadbury mini eggs sitting in my living room!)

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments