Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 3. Home

Listening to the radio the other day, I heard a song that I hadn't heard for a while. Actually, I was driving home to my parent's house and I was driving down the road that I spent 25 years of my life living and playing on.

It was a very particular song playing on the radio; a song that I can't quite remember at the moment (and have been wracking my brains about for days), but it was about Home. About coming home. About when the rest of life kicks you in the teeth, you've always got home to go back to. And it wasn't 'Bring it all Home' by Little Big Town - but it was popular on the radio around the same time as that song and it has been driving me slightly crazy that I can't think of which song it was.

Anyway, It was just... warm. Its not like I've moved 10 hours away from home and only visit once a year; I'm 20 minutes away and usually show up once a week. But it seems that you don't really appreciate home until you don't live there anymore.

So, if one of you country music followers out there could provide me with the name of the song that I'm thinking of, I'd be really happy. (Max, that's your cue - I'm expecting you to come up with the song title for me)

All I can remember of it is this (its a man who sings it, so that should narrow things down!):

I've been away
For far too long
and........ ....
.....the music(?)........
..........................
.
Is hoooOoooOoooOoooOme
Oh hoooOoooOoooOoooOme

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy and making things up. But I'd like to think that I'm not.


Speaking of Home, upon me moving out, my parents immediately replaced my old, worn out, dilapidated, single sized bed with a brand new double bed. AND, they're in the midst of completely renovating the kitchen (which I am not sad about missing). I mean - complete renovation. Right now it looks like a cement block room with half a wooden floor and a giant dirt hole where the other half of the floor used to sit. The lathe and plaster is all gone; the ceiling joists are showing; some of the floor joists need to be replaced; half the stairs are missing; the bathroom is just gone. Its...pretty impressive. That half of the house was built in 1915, I think, so I guess its time for a full reno job. (Andy, if you read this, you should go see it.)

2 comments:

  1. You should post a pic of the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't HAVE any pictures of the kitchen. I told my parents that they should be taking pictures as things progress.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments