Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 8. Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying, planning and dreaming...

My very first car was a red 1989 Toyota Corolla LE with a sunroof. It was... Well, 10 years old and rusty, it had been in an accident and hadn't been fixed real well. It cost me a ton of money in the 3 years I owned it - enough that my mechanic claimed that he could afford to go to Cuba because of me. *Sigh*, those were the days...

The real kicker was that about a year after owning it, the FM radio just stopped working one day. So, what was I to do in Owen Sound with no FM radio? That's right... I listened to Oldies 560 for about two years straight. (And now it all makes sense doesn't it!? "AH! THAT'S why Amy's musical preference just plain SUCKS!!" - that's what you're thinking, isn't it?)

Anyway, back in the day, I was also hopelessly "in love" with a boy who didn't pay any attention to me, (ha! Story of my life right there! lol); I was far too chicken to even consider making a first move and this cute jingly little song used to come on the radio once in awhile and it would taunt me:

Just wishing and hoping and thinking and praying
planning and dreaming
his kisses will start...
that won't get you into his heart

Yeah, that's right, you're singing along right now because you know this song too. Maybe not because you listened to an oldies radio station, but you still know it. Actually, this is probably where you know it from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-MVAzdUK4 , the beginning of My Best Friend's Wedding.

Anyway, now I'm all distracted. Where was I going with this? Oh yeah...

In high school I took OAC Sociology. Not because I especially wanted to, but it was the only class I could take to earn my 6th credit for my OAC certificate. If you're younger than 24, you won't even know what that means!

This is what I remember of high school sociology:

1. The teacher was a bitter, bitter divorcee who raged about her ex every chance she could get

2. I hated ever second of it

3. Physical love is a slippery slope. You start at the top all innocent and not knowing what's going on, then you slowly start doing the hand holding and hugging and cuddling and kissing and before you know it, you're at the bottom of the slope "making whoopee" (if you've ever played Sims2, you know what I mean). The point about the slop was that the more times you go down it, the faster the ride gets - sort of like a track made in the snow with a toboggan. And, that'll turn into a pretty huge kick in the teeth if you're not careful.

4. The 7 mile rule. You are most likely to fall in love with someone who is within a 7 mile radius of where you live. Now, that rule is a little outdated. Like 1940's outdated, but it makes sense. Obviously, you're going to fall for someone who is constantly, and consistently, in your life. So, the most logical places for that to happen are a) in your neighbourhood, b) at school, or c) at work. (boy, I really screwed up that last one - not a whole lot of hope ever finding someone suitable while working for a Catholic church!!)

5. If you're a guy, you're going to fall for someone who is like your mother; girls, for someone like your father. Now. At the age of 17 or 18, this particular piece of information SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!! LIKE MY FATHER??!!?!! Groan.... I love my dad like any daughter should, but he drives me crazy (like any father should), and you're telling me that I'm going to fall in love with someone just like him?!! GAH! So I may have spent part of my life with this little piece of knowledge stuck in my brain screaming at me to stay away from guys who reminded me of my father because I was just too weirded out by it. Turns out that its some sort of pheromone/genetic similarity thing or something - google it if you're really interested.

So yeah, that's what I remember of my OAC Sociology class. Good times had by few.

I think we're done here.

Is anyone still paying attention anyway?

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy you caved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very second car was a 1989 red carolla sports coup with a sun-roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! Oh, wait, you told me this at Christmas. It had the flip up headlights on it, right?

    ReplyDelete

I like comments