Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 7. Forever and ever Amen

What was it about elementary school that every year you ended up getting asked a whole bunch of questions so that the teacher, or worse, your classmates, 'could get to know you better'? I hated it! Even today, ask me a direct question and I'm more likely to avoid it rather than give you a straight answer. Its not that I don't want to answer you, its that 90% of the time, I don't have an answer. Seriously, my mind goes blank, my mouth goes dry, and my hands get all sweaty - and the question might not be anything more than 'do you want fries with that?' *sigh*

Two questions from elementary school that haunt me to this day: What do you want to do when you grow up? (I don't know). Who is your favourite music group/singer? (Randy Travis).

Yeah, that's right, my default answer was Randy Travis. I was cool. At a time when all the other kids were saying Salt N Pepper or Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer, I said Randy Travis.

But can you blame me? Country music was all I knew. Well, aside from ABBA or Jerry Lee Lewis, but I certainly wasn't going to go admitting that to anyone! I grew up in a house where the radio only had two stations on it - 820CHAM, and CKNX AM920. Both country radio stations on the AM dial.

I don't even know why I picked Randy Travis! Probably because I didn't actually pay attention to the radio and he was the first guy I could think of that I could actually name one of his songs (remember, this was at the age of 8).

I can still only name 3 songs by Randy Travis off the top of my head!
- Digging up Bones (a song that a child of 8 shouldn't even understand)
- Three Wooden Crosses (a newer song that I dislike very, very much)
- Forever and Ever Amen (as long as old men sit and talk about the weather, as long as old women sit and talk about old men, this is probably Randy's most famous song)

Anyway, that's the story of how Randy Travis became my 'favourite' singer.
Don't worry, my tastes have changed a little over the years.

2 comments:

  1. The Lost Pilgrims played that song at band camp 2 years ago and dedicated it to me and Rae. Unfortunately Rae was out of the building at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe...
    wait. Were they the ones at your wedding in the kilts?

    ReplyDelete

I like comments