Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 4. I'm not ready to make nice

Probably my most favourite Dixie Chicks song; someone told me once that she thought 'Not Ready to Make Nice' was an angry breakup song. I guess it sort of fits - well, except for the death threat part...

It's actually about what happened after the lead singer, Natalie Maines, said something completely off the cuff and regrettable at a concert in London England in 2003. WE'RE ASHAMED THAT THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IS FROM TEXAS. Almost ruined their careers. There were boycotts and record burnings and no radio station in America would play their music. And yet, somehow, after 5 long years of conflict and controversy, they're better off for it.

I just finished watching 'Shut Up and Sing', the documentary of the Dixie Chicks chronicling their fall from the face of Country music and I can't help but wonder - had they made that statement now instead of in 2003, would anyone have even noticed?

Makes ya think doesn't it? About how one stupid slip of the tongue can be so life altering.

Moral of the story: If you don't have anything nice to say...

1 comment:

  1. That's one of my all time favourite songs. So raw and real.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments