Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 2. I don’t know the same things you don’t know

I just, don’t know.

Corner Gas is in its final season. Its bittersweet watching every episode – each on seems to be better than the last, but with each one, we’re drawing closer and closer to the end.

I just watched this past week’s episode; if you haven’t seen it yet – you should. (You can watch it at www.ctv.ca on their video player)

Best lines ever:

“It’s the ultimate mixed CD; opening with classical music, then reggae, followed by a children's song, then ending with whale sounds. Brilliant. You are a CD mix genius!”

I laughed. People at work were probably wondering what in the world I was doing in my office, alone, at work, with the door closed, laughing… But that’s alright – 2 minutes later I almost fell out of my chair with this line:

“I’m afraid Karen won’t be able to read to you anymore. It’s against her religion. She’s Muslim. Presbyterian-Muslim. It’s new; it’s all the rage.”

BAHAHAHA

Ah, *sigh*… what are we going to do without quality Canadian programming such as this?

Corner Gas has also completely changed the lives of the people who live in Rouleau Saskatchewan (that’s where they film Corner Gas). I’ve been there. You have to venture out into the middle of nowhere on the confusing grid of roads (its only confusing because every corner you come to looks the exact same as the last), drive down these long dirt roads and suddenly you’re in this tiny little town of Rouleau which, over the past 5 years or so, has really cashed in on the popularity of Corner Gas. The show has already finished filming, and I’ve gotta wonder, how long before people don’t bother visiting there anymore? How long before the gas station set starts to look run down and the ice cream shop (inside the police station set) closes because they can’t sell enough Corner Gas merchandise anymore?

Funny how things shape our lives, isn’t it?

Well, Corner Gas, we’re sad to see you go, but at least you’re going out with a bang! I’m glad you never ‘jumped the shark’*.


*Jumped the Shark: a reference to an episode of the show Happy Days where Fonzie jumps over a shark on water skis. Followed by a sad realization that the show had passed its peak and it was all downhill from there. Jumping the shark is not something any good television show wants to do.

1 comment:

  1. Haha he still wore his leather jacket on his waterskis. Me and Rae watch corner gas on line. Maybe we should watch happy days when it's over.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments