Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 6. When I get where I'm going

When I get where I'm going
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly

I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain

[Chorus]
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here

I'm gonna walk with my grand daddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Every minute since he left
Then I'll hug his neck

[Repeat chorus]

So much pain and so much darkness
In this world we stumble through
All these questions I can't answer
So much work to do

But when I get where I'm going
And I see my maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light
Of his amazing grace
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
Hallelujah
I will love and have no fear
When I get where I'm going
Yeah when I get where I'm going


I absolutely and completely love this song. Not only is it country (which is pretty much a requirement for any song that I am going to love), but it is also sung by two of my all time favourite country artists - Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton!

Also... It reminds me of Narnia.
And Narnia reminds me that God is good.
And it is Sunday today, so I thought that I should suggest to you that God is Good.
And if you really want to get a glimpse at how good God really is, read "The Shack" by William Young. I'm about halfway through it and, like the review on the back of the book says, 'You'll want everyone you know to read this book!'.

So, Narnia... (which reminds me, Alicia, I'd like that back someday because I do want to read it again myself) Its been awhile since I've read it; that's my way of saying that I have a poor memory for detail so you should read it yourself. But, this is how I do remember it: In the last book [SPOILER ALERT!!] There is a train wreck which, in not so many words, kills all the characters of the book and they find themselves back in Narnia for the very last time. For forever, because Narnia is Heaven. And Aslan the Lion is there, because Aslan is God. And they start re-exploring Narnia; Narnia was always this finite place with borders and boundaries so that's what they're expecting. This time though, as they explore Narnia, they start to run, and the more they run, the faster they run and they just keep running faster and faster and faster until they're basically flying. And they run without getting tired; young and old running side by side. And the further into Narnia they run, the bigger it gets and it doesn't matter how far or how fast they run, Narnia just keeps getting bigger because it is no longer finite, but infinite - it stretches on forever.

CS Lewis just paints this perfect picture of God's all-encompassing love and its wonderful and its magical and peaceful and if you were to ask me what I thought/wanted Heaven to look like, I'd say I hope heaven looks like how CS Lewis wrote it in Narnia.

So when I hear this song by Brad & Dolly singing words about flying and landing beside a lion and walking side by side with grandpa and seeing my Maker's face... Ah. It just.. Yeah, I love every second of it.

Ps. If you read The Shack, don't be surprised that God is portrayed as a big black woman called Papa. Its all just part of the journey.

3 comments:

  1. My wife hates Dolly. What's her best album? I just read that book. I really like it. Actually I think it's your copy and I think we're supposed to tell you we have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, we have Heather's copy not your's Amy. I actually do hate Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you hate Dolly? I... don't even know you.
    I don't know anything about her albums, but '9 to 5' is my personal theme song.

    Have you read The Shack yet Rae? Its really helping me to rethink God as being about love and relationship instead of rules and judgement

    ReplyDelete

I like comments