Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 1. I've been through a desert on a horse with no name...

I know someone who has been frequenting the gym a lot lately. Good, lots of people go to the gym, you say; its healthy, its motivating, its energizing, blah, blah, blah, whatever. I hate the gym; the day I get myself a gym membership is pretty much the day pigs fly. Today though, the idea of the gym not only disgusted me (the thought of breathing in other people's sweaty fumes makes me want to hurl), but it also angered me. Yes, I am very aware that is pretty much the most irrational and ridiculous thing in the world, thank you, but I was still annoyed. It ticked me off because hearing about other people going out and being intentionally active made me feel like a lazy slob.

So, tonight, I went for a walk. Its the very first time that I've left my new home after dark without hopping in my car and going to the mall. I have a friend who has a place up the hill and I thought that I'd take a chance that she might be home and walk to her place. It was uphill the entire way there, and it was cold enough that my ears were starting to hurt, and I had to keep crossing the road because the sidewalk didn't go up the entire hill on one side. But, wow, did it feel good to be outside in the crisp night air with my lungs burning a little from the cold, and my heart beating loud enough to tell me that I'm still alive. It took about 20 - 25 minutes, and bonus, my friend was home!

The way home was all downhill. A couple times I thought I was going to slip on some ice and land on my head, but I didn't. I also didn't get stabbed walking by the bar like I thought I might, that was nice too. I guess I didn't need to shove that knife in my boot after all! (kidding, just kidding...)

And for some reason, (I'm not ever going to begin to understand how these things work), part way home Neil Young popped into my head singing 'I've been through the desert on a horse with no name, it felt good to be out of the rain...' and he's been there singing the same line over and over and over ever since.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy it's Pete. um that song is by America. I don't get people that drive to the gym to use the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments