Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 25. Don't think I don't think about it

Darius Rucker spent the 1990s in the limelight as the lead singer for Hootie & the Blowfish (remember them?). Recently though he has tried, quite successfully, to cross over to the country music scene.

In September of 2008, his single 'Don't Think I don't Think about it' "became the first Number One country hit by a solo African American artist since 1983" (there's my Wikipedia research for the day). That artist back in 1983 was none other than Charlie Pride with this little number:



By the way, that was a video clip from Hee Haw. You can see the original cornstalks from the Hee Haw set at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville Tennessee! The actual show was filmed in a studio at the Grand Ole Opry. What? You thought I could actually write a blog without mentioning the Opry??

Anyway, Don't think I don't think about it...

But don't think I don't think about it
Don't think I don't have regrets
Don't think it don't get to me
Between the work and the hurt and the whiskey
Don't think I don't wonder bout
Could've been should've been all worked out

I know what I felt and I know what I said
But don't think I don't think about it


Yeah, its a breakup song. But I still like it.
I mean, we've all got regrets, right? We've all got baggage - it comes with that whole being human thing. Personally, as much as I'd like to let that baggage go, as much as I know that God has shown grace towards me and doesn't hold my idiotic mistakes over me, I still think about it. I still think about the things I've done in my life that haven't been all that swift. I know I shouldn't let it drag me down, but, a lot of the time, I am my own worst enemy.

I say this not because I have some deep dark confession to make, but because I know that I'm not alone in my thoughts. At one time or another, we have all been our own worst enemy. ...some of us maybe a little more than others. Lucky for me I do believe in a Higher Power, a Being of love and grace and forgiveness, so when I'm done being my own worst enemy for the day, I can rest in the fact that I'm not a prisoner of my past mistakes.

Don't think I don't think about it - but don't think I let it control my life either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments