Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cough, cough, hack, basketball, sneeze

So a week ago I felt like I had been hit by a truck. There is only one solution for that feeling and it only works about 50% of the time - consume an entire bottle of ColdFX in less than a week.

I felt not bad all week. In fact, I had plans to go visit Rae & Pete & baby this weekend, so I was really hoping to avoid the cold altogether.

On Thursday though, I knew I was doomed, and Friday was worse. Cancel trip to see friends - don't want to give cute little baby a cold.

I woke up Saturday with a completely free day ahead of me. So naturally, I stayed in bed. Seems logical to me. And then I got a very unexpected phone call from my cousin. She wanted me to drive to Toronto with her to pick up her daughter.

Actually... She wanted ME to drive HER to Toronto to pick up her daughter because the thought of driving to Toronto herself was causing much stress. I don't know why she thought I'd be any better at it, but off we went.

HoopDome International was our destination. Its pretty easy to get to actually; exit the 400 at Finch and its like 5 minutes away. No problem.

Basketball was the game of the day. My cousin's daughter is on a district basketball team, with players on it from 3 or 4 local schools, and they travel all over the place to go to these tournaments.


Its been a long, long time since I've watched high school basketball. I didn't expect to remember too many of the rules. But the longer I sat there and watched, the more I remembered from my own high school basketball experiences (I played on the high school team in grade 10). And it wasn't long before I was calling fouls with the refs and explaining to my cousin why her daughter was taking foul shots.

There's a reason why I only played high school basketball for one year - because I wasn't good at it! I couldn't wrap my head around the plays: where I was supposed to be on the court, which player I was supposed to be covering. Gym class basketball was great, but competitive basketball was beyond me.

But watching my 14 year old cousin out there running around took me back. It was fun. Mind you, they got creamed, completely schooled by the other team, but oh well, I remember that happening to my team a lot too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments