Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Time to start thinking SUMMER!

Spent about 2 hours chatting with a friend last night (yes, I have some of those - amazing isn't it?!) about the potential for a camping trip this summer.

This isn't just any willy-nilly camping trip in the nearest campground down the road where you take everything with you including a kitchen sink. Don't get me wrong, I like those camping trips and hope to do some of those this summer too. But the trip we're talking of is a, get this, 7-10 day backcountry hike through the interior of Killarney Provincial Park. AHHH!!

The LaCloche Silhouette Trail is a 100km trek through some of the roughest (and likewise, gorgeous) landscapes this side of the Rock Mountains. If we manage to get this organized, it will be one awesome adventure!

I don't have ANY proper equipment for a hike like this, so I spent most of last night browsing the MEC website and brushing up on my knowledge of differences in hiking boots, packs and sleeping bags. I guess I know where my income tax rebate is going! (Dear Receiver General, just make that cheque out to 'Mountain Equipment Co-op'.)

Anyhue... we've only got 3 people roped into this thing at the moment. It would be nice to take a 4th. If you're interested in stumbling through the woods for 10 days swatting bugs, bathing in lakes of acid water, carefully avoiding bears, eating freeze dried who-knows-what out of a pouch, and trusting your life with 3 other dirty smelly people, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments