Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Brought to you by the number 12

The other day in a blog I mentioned my love for the personification of inanimate objects, namely: puppets of the Jim Henson variety.

Fraggle Rock is probably one of my most favourite TV shows.

But, being the age I am, I also have a soft spot in my heart for Sesame Street. Like, old-school Sesame Street from the early 1980's. The ones with Linda the deaf lady, and Barkley the dog, and Mr Hooper's General Store.

Quite often, people of my generation will sing to a certain tune when counting to the number 12. Personal observation is that the preferred tune of my generation is the 'Pinball Countdown':



However, I personally prefer the less popular 'Ladybug Picnic' tune:



If you have a copy of Pixar's 'The Incredibles', this is an extra on the DVD because the guy who made it worked for Pixar.


Puppet-wise, its hard to beat Kermit. And there's something about his 'Do-Wop, Hop' video that makes me smile every time:



Of course, then there was the Letter Salesman
and the teeny little super guy
and the two red aliens who couldn't figure out the telephone ( Uh huh, uh huh, BRRRING)
and the Monster Piece Theatre - Chariots of Fire spoof

So there ya go. A Sesame Street kid and proud of it. If you've ever been to my house, you know that I've even got a stuffed dog named Barkley (granted, I've had him for over 25 years - its not like I got him yesterday, so don't judge me too harshly).

5 comments:

  1. I remember all that stuff. Also, I remember the first time I saw a pinball machine and suddenly that whole countdown thing made a lot more sense.

    There was also a show from around that time that I would wait for every night it was on... the raccoons.

    It usually came on after beachcombers. I didn't care much for the beachcombers but would sit and watch the entire show in anticipation of seeing the Raccoon after.

    I still remember not knowing what was going on for 90% of the beachcombers (mostly because I was 5) and being really really irritated on the random occasions the raccoons wasn't on after.

    Now you got me all remembering stuff and telling pointless stories that have no end. I'll stop now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID THE SAME THING!!!

    I remember watching Beachcombers because my mom liked it. But I was young enough that I frequently got the plot confused with another fine Canadian production - Danger Bay!

    The Raccoons though... classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Racoons! I also loved the aliens singing. They had the best songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a devoted watcher of the Muppet Show. It came on right after Batman, which I also loved. Some of my favourite movies have Muppetes - Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol - they're both on regular rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Q: The question is: What's a Mahna Mahna?
    A: The question is: Who cares?

    ReplyDelete

I like comments