Thursday, April 2, 2009

Its like sleeping in a bag

Everyone's got that one sleeping bag that they've had since they were a little kid. You know, the one that has traveled everywhere with you, had the crap beat out of it, been washed so many times that its lumpy, the zipper sticks, and there's a hole in it where the stuffing is falling out. But its YOUR bag, and you know when its going to keep you warm, and you know exactly how much room it takes to pack it, and you love that thing - God help the person who decides to throw it away on you!

My dad had one that was ancient. It was this bright robins egg blue on the outside, and a putrid orange on the inside. Down-filled, he said it was the best sleeping bag in the world! My mother hated it because it left a trail of feathers everywhere it went. ...Now that I think about it, maybe her throwing out that sleeping bag actually had something to do with him cutting down her lilac tree. huh...

Anyway, I got my sleeping bag when I was in the 12, 13, 14 age range - I don't really remember. It was a Christmas gift. Big and warm. Blue on the outside, classic plaid flannel inside. That thing has been to Albert twice, Nova Scotia twice, and everywhere in between. The thing is a beast! It spends most of its time these days riding around in the trunk of my car, and has definitely picked up a car perma-smell. Its lumpy from being washed too many times. Its lost most of its 'loft' (ability to keep me warm at night) from being washed too many times. Some of the seams are starting to give out and show off the stuffing. And its just big, huge really; one of the bulkiest sleeping bags I've ever seen in my life. But its mine. And I'm having trouble replacing it.

I want to go light, and efficient. I worry about a new bag keeping me warm, so I tend to look for the -5 and colder rated ones. I don't really trust that rating system... When it says -5, does it really mean -5? Or does it mean that you have to be used to sleeping outside naked in a snowstorm for this bag to keep you warm at -5?

Price is a bit of an issue too. Sure, there are the $30 Canadian Tire sleeping bags. But then there are the $300 MEC sleeping bags. How much is a good night's sleep worth to me? Does the price difference really make that big a difference in how comfy I'll be?

And then there's the shape. You've got the regular rectangular bag. The one that most people are used to; the one that gives you plenty of room to shift around at night. The one that is basically nothing more than a heavy blanket with a zipper around it. You're all comfy, but honestly, halfway through the night when you accidentally kick it off of yourself, you freeze to death. And then you've got your mummy bag. That one where you crawl into it like some sort of Houdini, you have to get someone else to zip you in because its so tight you can't move, then you wrap the little hood over your head - you look like a giant human cocoon, but you stay warm! (Hopefully you don't wake up in the middle of the night having to pee...)

*Sigh* I thought I found the perfect compromise. I went to Crappy Tire (I know, I know, that was my first mistake) and I bought a 'Barrel' bag. The perfect mesh of the two sleeping bag worlds! All the roomy goodness of a rectangular bag, all of the squishy hooded warmth of a mummy bag. Plus, its about a third of the size of my current sleeping bag, making it much more convenient for that backpacking I hope to do this summer. I brought it home, yanked it out of the stuff sack, unzipped it, and jumped in to test it out. Comfy? Very. Warm? Well, I was inside, so yes. Good fit? No. I'm 5'10", not some sort of massive giant; this bag barely covered my chest! Its a good 6 inches too short to be of any use to me. So disappointing.

I guess those extra $$ do make a difference. Anyone wanna go to MEC?

5 comments:

  1. Part of the sitting around bored ritual. I'm flipping around the various sites I visit. Feeling pretty tired and slightly down.... reading along....
    ---
    "I'm 5'10", not some sort of massive giant; this bag barely covered my chest! Its a good 6 inches too short to be of any use to me."
    ---
    For whatever reason that made me laugh stupid hard. I was drinking water and it came out of my nose. Maybe it's just the tired talking but that's some hilarious imagery right there.

    You know those kids shows where they have the couch that looks giant and the adult looks tiny sitting on it. Ya, like that only opposite and with a sleeping bag. lol :)

    -- Dave aka Mr Easily Amused

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, well, I'm glad I keep at least one person amused on a regular basis!

    Speaking of children's shows... why did the Friendly Giant keep a rooster in a bag hung on his wall?? Really. You think that Rusty was happy in that bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ole friendly giant. Also, this just made me remember some other classic shows from the time.

    The magical music box show. I don't remember much about it. I just remember always trying to watch it but never knowing when it was on.

    Oh and romper room waiting for the end of the show to see if the lady said your name...

    Mr Dressup, I remember when I was really little not knowing if casey/finnigan were real and maybe just some freaky looking kid and dog.

    Today's special. That was a cool show too. You know the one with the mannequin. :) Jeff, sam crenshaw...good times

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, I would pay huge money for a good sleeping bag that keeps me warm. I think it would need an electric blanket component in it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy come to Toronto, we'll take you to MEC. Do they have different sizes at crappy tire? At MEC each bag comes in long, regular and short. They have the mummy, barrel and (?)square.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments