Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Laundry Day

I did something yesterday that I normally only do about 1000 miles away from home while camping. I went to the laundry mat.

I know what you're thinking - 'Don't you having a washing machine at your place?'
Yes. Yes I do. It doesn't spin, and believe it or not, spinning is key to good laundrying.

I had been taking my laundry to my parents' house. They claim to not appreciate it too much when I show up, eat their food, watch their tv, and use all the precious electricity drying my clothes. I don't see what the problem is.

But I've had some pretty busy weekends lately so I haven't had a chance to get to my parents' house. And I'm going to be busy every weekend from now until about the end of August (except for a weekend or two in mid July). Laundry was starting to become a problem. So I scoped out the two laundry mats in town and ended up going to the one that wasn't closing within half an hour of me arriving.

TWELVE BUCKS!!! $12. It cost me twelve dollars to do my laundry! Granted, I did 4 pretty large loads in an hour and a half. If my own machine wasn't busted, it would have taken a good 3 days to do that much laundry. Plus, I met a boy.

....

No I didn't. But I thought about it. What better place to meet a boy than in a laundry mat, right?
Actually, what I thought about was this, and it made me smile:




I also thought about how the laundry mat could be better and how if it was MY laundry mat, it would be way more cool, and people would come just to hang out because it would be such an awesome place (not to mention, a great place to meet guys). It would be nice and bright and clean and have a nice lounge and free wifi.

But the real kicker is that in the time I was there, there were at least 10 other people there. Now, they didn't all do as much laundry as me, but if they all spent even $6 each while there, that's $60 in an hour - and not a staff member in sight. That's pretty easy money. I think OS has enough laundry to support a 3rd laundry mat. Anyone wanna invest in a new business?

3 comments:

  1. only $12!! In hamilton its $4 per load and you get 5 minites of dry time for 25 cents!! The ironic thing is every time Josh helps me do the laundry, he comes back thinking the same thing... nearly no work, lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! It was $2.5o/load and 7 minutes for 25 cents. Remind me to never to laundry in Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love going to the laundromat. I used to hang out at the pub next door while I did my laundry. Got a regular gig there singing Irish drinking and fighting songs for free beer!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments