Monday, April 27, 2009

Clip Clop?

I was in my kitchen this evening doing I don't know what (nothing kitchen-y that's for sure) and through the open window heard the distinct sound of horse hooves on pavement.

There are always Amish folk driving their buggies around out in the country - horse hooves are a pretty familiar sound to me. It took me a second, however, to realize that I don't often see Amish folk strolling around downtown. Country yes, city, not so much.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

wait... wrong story.

I did go to the window though and saw, not the Amish buggy I was expecting, but a carriage pulled by 2 heavy horses complete with a driver in a top hat and coat tails, and loving couple hugging in the back.

Since when has this become a cheesy tourist town?!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen amish people waking around down town, but no buggies.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments