Thursday, June 25, 2009

Telling Time

I didn't sleep well last night (which is totally beside the point of the blog), it was hot... and then I got a couple texts (which I was glad to get)... but then it was 2:30am before I finally fell asleep again.

I woke up quite begrudgingly to the sound of construction at about 7:30, and then again at 8am when my watch beeped its alarm.

That was the last sound my watch will ever make. It beeped long enough to wake me up, and then promptly died.

I guess... it was about time. The watch has gotta be 10 years old; the indiglo light quit working about 7 years ago; its had no less than 3 replacement wrist straps; and I've not once changed the battery.

I'm so used to always wearing a watch that I almost put it on this morning anyway just so that I wouldn't feel naked. But I didn't and, aside from the white un-tanned stripe on my wrist, I am watch-free.

So...

Do I go cheap, replace the battery, and continue wearing the watch I am so familiar with?

Do I visit the jewelery counter at the local Zellers and pick something, dare I say, a little more 'girly'?

Or do I shed the watch altogether and free myself from telling others what time it is? Becoming one of those people who rely on others to feed their constant demands of 'do you know what time it is?'

Decisions, decisions. Oh well; my weekend starts in about 3 hours and I won't need to know what time it is until Monday morning.

Maybe I'll work on getting rid of that watch tan.

4 comments:

  1. Get rid of the watch tan then get a good watch with a girly band. :) The best of all worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally go a bit crazy without a watch. It came from minutes = thousands of $ while working on ship and then the military.

    I have slowly weaned myself away. Watch with alarms and stop watch became watch with alarm. Watch with alarm became watch with hands. Watch with hands has currently become watch that has marks for the numbers but no actual numbers and no second hand and a metal wristband.

    I say go for girlie impractical. I picked up an eco-drive one that runs on solar so you don't have to change the battery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a solar watch? that's cool. where would one acquire one of those?

    I've been sans watch for a few years now and it's rare that I actually have to ask someone what time it is...there are craftier ways of finding out. I do need to get one though for my upcoming travels.

    Also, if you have a cell phone you have a clock and the ability to set alarms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. solar watch - mine is a Citizen Eco-drive watch. Picked it up at The Bay on sale for I think around $130. Most $ I've ever spent on a watch.

    It's done pretty good though. Had it for over a year. Not waterproof but I've been hard on it and it still looks great. Only comes off my wrist when water involved (although is water resistant). And it looks like a normal watch.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

I like comments