Friday, June 19, 2009

Slow down

I woke up this morning to the news on the local radio. A warning that a local country road continued to be closed to traffic after a nighttime car accident.

There is only one reason a road stays closed for that long after an accident. They didn't say it on the radio; they didn't have to.

Sort of a deflating way to start your day.

You start praying to God that it wasn't anyone you know, but when you live in the sticks like I do... Well, there aren't '6 Degrees of Separation' out here, there are about 2.

Didn't hear anything about it again until late afternoon when a 'We'll miss you Becky' status appeared on facebook. Facebook. Word travels fast on facebook, faster than anywhere else it seems. But today it was remarkably quiet.

Finally found out the circumstances the old fashioned way: by talking to the parents. They knew; of course they knew - it happened within the borders of this fine township we call home.

Gravel truck, little car, missed stop sign. Not a pretty thing. 'Becky'? Well... no, I don't know her. But like I said, only a couple degrees of separation in this neck of the woods. I do recognize the name. My parents do know her parents. And a whole lot of people's lives just got shaken up.

Makes you think. Makes you sit back, take a breath... Slow down.

2 comments:

  1. I heard about it on Life 100.3 and just prayed it wasn't someone I knew. They just said it was a 23 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really terrible intersection. They never really fixed it they just keep sticking bandages on it.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments