Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunburned again

Ok, if you see me sitting out in the sun at any time over the next two months, just tell me to put sunscreen on. Seriously. I have been burned enough this summer and its only June. On the plus side, I almost got rid of that watch tan, and I am successfully fighting off the farmers tan (something that was necessary before my little bro gets married).

On the watch front: Telling time wasn't really that important this weekend - big family gathering on a lake (not my real family, but my adopted family), essentially it was a 3 day holiday. Time isn't really important when your goal for the day is to sit outside reading a book! However, I still caught myself on a number of occasions about to ask someone, anyone, what time it was. I was hanging out with a watch-free family though. Only 1 person in about 20 even had a watch - figures, it was the military man. I think I need to replace my watch, and soon.

We fasted today. All of us. A proper 12 hour biblical fast. Not something you'd typically do at a family gathering, but it was important, so we did.

At church this morning the speaker talked about fasting and prayer: why we do it, why we SHOULD do it, the significance of it, the biblical nature of it, the results of it, denial of things versus the denial of self (selflessness vs selfishness). And possibly the one point which stuck with me the most: on average, us lazy North Americans eat 40% more food than we really need. Gross.

3 comments:

  1. So I got my iPod dealy rigged up to do notifies for things. As a result your blog deal made it bust a tune out because of google reader.

    Not a big deal usually, except I had nodded off with the earbuds in. I also had the volume up because I was listening to a weird old album that the loudness is really low on. So... BLAM!

    Lesson learned. Who blogs at this time of night? yeesh :p I'm gonna shut the notify for google reader off. I got quite a few things on it and I don't want a repeat.

    Anyhooo, 12 hour fast thing sounds neat. I like the idea behind it n such.

    Now to try and get to sleep without waking up with my ears bleeding. :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say it was my first "family fast"

    ReplyDelete

I like comments