Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nothin' but birds

I woke up quite suddenly at 4am last night. No idea why. But my brain immediately went into gear and started thinking thoughts about work. That was annoying. I normally try really hard to not think about work when I'm not there, but I had a meeting last night and that always throws my brain into overdrive. Boo meetings.

Its amazing how wide awake you can feel at 4am, and then how completely exhausted you are at 8am when you should be getting up!

Its also amazing how quiet the city is at 4am! Nothin' but birds! That's all I could here, the morning chirping of birds.

Now, in the country, birds chirping at 4am is the most horrendously annoying sound on the face of the planet! I have cursed those birds on more than one occasion - how dare they wake me up before daylight! But in the country you can hear birds chirping all day long.

In the city, between the hours of 5am and midnight or 1am, there is constant noise: traffic, sirens, jackhammers at the construction sites, lawn mowers, horns, loud music, kids yelling, that stupid drumming circle, traffic, traffic, always traffic. Human noises completely drown out nature noises.

So to hear absolutely nothing but birds chirping, if only for a little while, was one of the most peaceful things I have heard in a very long time.

And then there was an ambulance siren.

And then I feel back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments