Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Unconditional

When did the world forget what 'unconditional' means?
Or did the world ever really know?

I've been thinking about that word a lot lately.
In regards to friends.
In regards to lovers.
In regards to God.

Without conditions. No-strings-attached love.
Is that love at its purest?
Is that kind of love actually attainable?

I just finished reading my new most favourite book on the planet: Lamb - the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.

This book takes the fact that we are missing 99.9% of the details of Christ's life from birth to age 30, and in a very fictional sense, fills in the gap with the help of Jesus' best buddy Levi (who is known as Biff).

I'll put a disclaimer on here right now: This book is full, FULL, of sex and swearing and completely made up things. Jesus himself drops the F-bomb on numerous occasions. I would feel bad letting my mother, or my pastor, or my best friend, or anyone under the age of 20, read this book.

On the first page, there is a quote that says, 'God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh.' ~ Voltaire

If you are afraid to laugh, then you probably shouldn't read this book.

The book is fictional, the book is obscene, the book is funny! But it also portrays Jesus as a man with an exceedingly enormous amount of unconditional love for all. And maybe that's why I like the book so much.

Maybe we people can't actually fully grasp unconditional love, what with our self-centered, self-serving, greedy and sinful ways. But, maybe that's just a lame excuse to not even try.

Personally, I'd like to think that its easier than it sounds!

4 comments:

  1. I know quite a few people that fully understand this in one way or another. Myself included.

    Then there is the other side.
    The selfish people.
    I'm not talking eat the last cookie selfish. I'm talking about the when someone close to them dies and the first thing they think of is "I wonder if they left me anything" kind of selfish.

    I don't even know how people can be like that. I have a hard time grasping that level of selfishness more than unconditional love.

    I guess it has a lot to do with the value systems people develop as they grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every single one of us is selfish, and no one cann fully understand unconditional love. We all fall short, oh so short. We are human, sinful creatures who want what only God can give us, and want to give only what God can give.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book was on my list of "I need to pick that up some day". So, after I read your entry, I slipped over to Coles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA!!! You will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments