Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Story

I've been thinking a lot about stories over the past couple days.

A wise man, by the name of Brett Andrews, once taught me that stories are how people relate to each other. By telling you my story, I am opening the door for you to tell me your story. Through this shared storytelling, we get to know, respect, and trust one another. Eventually, this storytelling opens doors for evangelism: the sharing of God's story. (That was the bible college context anyway.)

I've been telling a lot of stories lately. Stories about my past. Stories that are, hopefully, helping me to make a point, or to make sense of the present. I think that storytelling is what defines us as human: being able to share our stories, our past experiences, our take on life. Without that ability, what would we be?

I have come to realize that stories are unique to the person telling them. That even though you and I shared the same experience, your story of that event and my story of that event are going to be different. That doesn't mean that one of us is wrong, or that one of us is lying, we just have different perspectives, different views of the same experience.

And maybe that's the beauty of storytelling. My story on its own is biased, and probably a little self-serving. Your story on its own is too. Each one of us only holds our own perspective, an incomplete story. But when we share our stories with one another, especially stories of like experiences, our stories are completed with perspectives from various views. And interwoven between those two stories, those stories which at first glance seem so starkly different, interwoven between those stories, is the truth.

Will you share your story with me? Can we discover the truth together?

13 comments:

  1. I dare say you are right. After all look at the Bible there are the gospels written about the same events and they all have a unique take on what was happening. Is one more accurate then the other? No, it just offers us a different perspective.

    We all have different gifts and abilities too so when something happens we view it through the lens of our own values and experiences. I have always been one who loves to hear peoples stories too. Why? Because it is the journey up to that point which makes that person who they are. I don't know the road you have walked, just like you don't know mine. When we know I think it helps us see each other as...human? Real people with feelings, dreams, hopes and so much more. When you just see a persons actions without knowing the person and having no reference on story it is easy to judge and condemn that person for the choices they may make.
    I am not sure if that all makes sense. I could keep going, but then I would be blogging not commenting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stories. Sometimes the stories of other's adventures are the only excitement I get in my day. It also provides me with a reminder of how alive and active our God is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous (although I've got a pretty good idea who you are!),

    Your comment reminded me of a comic I saw earlier:

    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sheeple.png

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the story? Morning Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. muffins? (Morning Glory muffins?)...

    Anonymous posted anonymously for a reason Dave! Get over it - you can't stalk EVERYONE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait a minute...I am anonymous and I did not post the above comment...at least I don't think I did

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its alright... Its just Dave... playing his little stalking games.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come on people! Only 10 comments! well... 11 now.

    Also, if I was stalking you you'd know it. I bet I'd be an awesome stalker! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the point of stalking someone was so that they didn't know...so if you were in fact stalking someone and they knew about it, you'd be a terrible stalker.
    Although, for all we know you could be watching us all right now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol. I assure you i don't have near that amount of ambition!

    I'm barely a stlalker anyhow. :p


    -Dave

    ReplyDelete

I like comments