Monday, May 4, 2009

POP!

What a difference 4 days makes at this time of year. Late last week, hiking through the woods, all the trees still had their skeleton look to them. Today, there was green popping out of the end of every branch! Its starting to look like a completely different trail.

I read this really great piece of advice the other day about how to avoid blisters so I thought I'd try it out this time around. Duct Tape. Duct tape your heels before you go. The theory is that blisters are caused by heat, moisture, and friction from socks rubbing on skin. Duct tape stops that from happening. Apparently I need a little more practice in proper duct taping techniques - I just ended up with extra large blisters at the edges of the duct tape. ...we'll chalk that one up as a learning experience and try something else in a day or two.

I was also extra cool (read: dorky) this evening and carried my backpack with me. Not too many people carry a pack through Harrison Park, so I got some weird looks. But it was necessary for me to take my gear for a test hike before I head into the woods in two weeks. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied. I think I've got my new pack all adjusted well and my shoulders didn't hurt at all like they do when I wear my crappy old pack. Granted, I was only carrying about 18lbs - not the 30-35 that I'll need to carry on the trip, but its a start. And if nothing else, I should have pretty great posture after carrying that thing around all day!

And apparently we're back down to 3 adventurers for the Killarney hike in August. Once again, if you're interested in being the 4th, let me know.

7 comments:

  1. Lol.... maybe it's just the fact that I'm really tired from working today but.... walking through harrison park with a backpack... I would have fallen over laughing. :) Of course i'm picturing the classic camping backpack with sleeping bag etc...

    You should have asked people for directions to the CN tower or some other far off place. Act really serious about it and say you've been walking for 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, blisters... seriously. From walking that trail. Are you boots or socks or something really terrible? o_o Maybe I need to do more trail walking. I haven't done much lately. Then again my feet sweat a lot when I walk.

    Maybe you are just all prone to blisters with your girly girl epidermis. :D lol j/k :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave me alone! The boots are new. I'm trying to break them in. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D I apologize for the teas'n :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plastic bags in your boots. No Joke. I learned it from a doctor who is in the army. The plastic reduces the friction between your socks and the boots.

    We would come on your trip but I think I'm going to visit my dieing grandmother, like my brother and sister should be doing too if they loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the problem with plastic bags is that they trap moisture, which can lead to other nastier problems. The best solution I've found is to simply turn the skin on your feet into leather! Problem solved.

    That was a pretty harsh stab at your siblings there! Send me a message would ya? I'd like a grandmother update.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments