Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ow...

I spend a great deal of time every night tossing around in my oh-so-comfy bed. I frequently start out laying diagonally in it, and then throughout the night find myself sideways or sleeping with my head where my feet should be. Its not such a big deal, after all, it is a pretty big bed. But God help the man (husband material only - guys without trucks need not apply) who tries to share a bed with me! hahaha (sucker)

But last night, I woke up to this screaming pain in my shoulder (literally, it was screaming - that's why I woke up. 'AHHH', it said, 'HELP ME, I HURT!' naturally, I couldn't continue sleeping with all that racket). It's not unusual for my shoulder to hurt and wake me up - that tends to be the reason I toss around so much.

On a side note: I have an uncle who had bone spurs or something on his shoulder joint that literally shredded his tendons and cartilage and stuff all to pieces. He had to have some pretty massive surgery which included having a wire mesh sewn into his muscles. I look forward to the day when I hear I have something similar - woot.

Anyway, back to my screaming shoulder. Typical cure for screaming shoulder is to roll over. But upon attempting to roll over in my groggy comatose-like state, I realized I had no arm. Apparently it had just left. No note or anything - just packed its things in the middle of the night and flew the coup! No wonder my shoulder hurt!

Oh, no, wait... THERE'S my arm! Up above my head, all cold and dead feeling, with no ability to move itself if it wanted to. And under the dead weight of that arm lay a crushed and slightly dislocated-feeling shoulder. Ouch.

It still hurts. It has hurt all day. This throbbing, achy, my-arm-is-going-to-fall-off, pain. Figures that it would happen this week what with going hiking this weekend and needing to wear a backpack for 3 solid days. On the plus side, at least I won't be trying to paddle a canoe.

(sympathies and monetary gifts only please)

5 comments:

  1. I totally sympathize with that. I've had it happen to me before. Usually after I've overstretched or did something stupid to my arms. Then I'll wake up and it'll be like a dead piece of meat hanging off my body with no feeling.

    Waking up is usually followed by a bit of a panic as you try and get the blood flowing and feeling back.

    However, having it happen to your arm is nothing compared to waking up with a whole leg doing that. O_O Let me tell you, first time I woke up with my leg "missing" as you put it I was quite freaked out. No screaming mind you, but still totally freaked out.

    It wouldn't move, I couldn't feel it when I poked it. Plus there was nobody around. I had to sit there for 30+ minutes moving it around and massaging the veins till it started to get feeling back.

    To avoid the arm thing while my arm is messed up I can't sleep with a shirt or anything on that might cause it to happen again. Usually if it happens once it'll happen again till whatever caused it heals up.

    The leg thing though seems to be a total crap shoot. I think it was aggravated by lifting bee hives for hours at night after working all day. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My arms sometimes fall asleep when my babe is sleeping on me and then I have to figure out how to get him off of me with my completely dead arms without killing him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete just realized that my reply was not sympathetic. a cheque is in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! You made my day. I look forward to the cheque. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last few times my arms gone missing and I roll over to find it I end up slapping myself in the face with it. I'd like to know where it's positioned in order for it to do this but I don't think about it when I move. My face doesn't appreciate this surprise attack but the half comatose state prevents me from retaliating (not sure what I could do anyway, I'd only end up hurting myself more I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete

I like comments