Saturday, May 22, 2010

The trip to Vegas which was not.

Right now, I am supposed to be at a hotel in Las Vegas Nevada getting ready to go on an evening of batchlorette fun, starting with a 3 hour tour of the Vegas Strip in freaking SUV STRETCH LIMO!!!

I hope that the other 10 girls are having an awesome time, and living it up, and doing all those crazy Vegas things - cause I am not.  I am not there.  I didn't make it to Las Vegas.  And I have no one to blame but the airline.  From here on out, I don't fly Delta, and I only make direct flights to my destination.  Not really a good experience for my 'first flight'!

Oh, we went to Buffalo, parked the car, got to the airport in plenty of time, got to the checkout counter, and were told that our flight to Atlanta had been canceled due to severe thunderstorms.  The entire Atlanta airport was shut down - no flights in or out.  Hard to be upset about that really.  That was supposed to be a 6:30pm flight leaving Friday night - we would have been in Las Vegas by midnight. (Buffalo-Atlanta-Las Vegas)

The best they could do for us was re-book us on a 4pm flight leaving Saturday afternoon to Detroit (then to Las Vegas).  Grumbling at our lack of choice, we took it, and found a hotel in Buffalo.  We made the best of it, my mom and I; the rest of the girls were all on different flights which didn't have to go to Atlanta, so they had no trouble getting to their destination.

Day two in Buffalo, we went shopping, out for lunch, etc, then headed back to the airport, happy that we'd finally be on our way.  Checked in, got our boarding passes, went through security, found our gate, bought some reading material for the flight, and went to wait.

Then we noticed a pattern of a lot of passengers going to the gate desk with problems.  Like... almost all the passengers.  Turns out, our plane was late.  And there was no way on God's green earth that we were going to get to Detroit in time to make our connecting flight to Las Vegas.  Like, they figured we'd land in Detroit at 5:35pm - the exact time the doors would be closing on the plane we were supposed to be getting on (THREE TERMINALS AWAY).

They could give us a new flight (Buffalo-Cincinnati-Las Vegas) at 7am Sunday morning.  We'd just have to spend another night in beautiful rainy Buffalo.  This is the point where we said 'This is enough, let's go home'.  We weren't very interested in spending half of our Vegas Vacation in Buffalo.  Something about coming all the way back to the airport yet again for another chance to possibly, maybe, get on a plane just wasn't something we wanted to do.

I'm not really upset about not making it to Vegas - crap happens.  I'm sad that we missed the limo ride, and that we'll be missing a tour of the Grand Canyon on Monday...  But it just wasn't meant to be I guess.  Maybe it's God's way of telling us that gambling is really, really bad.  The annoying thing is the amount of planning and preparation that went into this trip, only to have it all unravel in a matter of minutes.

Much to my BF's happiness, I'll be spending the rest of the long weekend in Sunny Southwestern Ontario.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch. That may be one of the worst stories I've heard since my Tourism days.

    At least you get to spend the beautiful long weekend in OS... or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have come to the wedding and hung out with me! I was only another hours drive away. We went to an amazing state park, hiked, ate, did the usuall Hawkins loud talking, game playing things,ate, drank, and shopped. Oh so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More blogging!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments