Monday, September 13, 2010

"Instead of Burning..."

Not that I want to dwell on the subject, because quite frankly I think we can all be a little immature when the subject turns to religion, and who's is best, but... I happened across a blog post on Facebook this morning that falls in line with what I've been trying to say all along.

Brian McLaren is a very well respected pastor/writer/theologian/speaker in the evangelical church, and a forerunner in exploring the Christian faith in a postmodern world. 


Essentially,his blog and my thoughts intersect at these points:  How can we judge either the Koran, or the Bible, without having actually taken the time to read it and learn about it?  How can we fairly judge another religion if all we're ever doing is comparing our best aspects against their worst aspects?  And why would we bother taking offense when one is burned?  If you're carrying your holy text around with you on paper, then you're doing it wrong.  Your holy text should be carried with you in your mind and in your heart - that way it can influence your life and your interactions with others.  A paper copy is no more than a reference book, and an easily duplicated one at that.  The bible is apparently the best selling book of all time; I'm sure there are millions of copies of the Koran floating around too.  Go ahead and take my paper copy, tear it apart, burn it if you must; it can easily be replaced.  I'll probably be a little annoyed at you, but it's not going to ruin my day, or my faith, because I carry around the essentials with me, within me, and the rest I just Google!

Brian's whole blog post can be read here:  "Instead of Burning, try Learning"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments