Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Alice and the Jabberwocky

Apparently I'm not a very well rounded literary being as I have not spent anytime in my life studying the works of Lewis Carroll.  I had no idea that the vaguly familiar (although I have no idea why) 'famous' poem of the Jabberwocky was part of Alice in Wonderland.

In fact, after seeing the movie, I can safely say that not in my entire life have I had any idea what Alice in Wonderland was about.  I distinctly remember as a child thinking that Alice in Wonderland was creepy and wanted nothing to do with it.  It's still pretty creepy.

Oh, sure, I've always been familiar with some of the characters - Alice, and the white rabbit in the waistcoat, and the Mad Hatter, and the Queen of Hearts, and the Cheshire Cat.  But I had no idea of the actual plot of the story!  There's a White Queen?  And Alice is supposed to kill the Jabberwocky?  I don't know... at times I really thought the whole thing seemed a little too 'Wizard of Oz' for me.  The whole idea of a girl trying to figure out her life crisis by entering some sort of dream world filled with likenesses of characters from the real world... meh....   Yes, I realize that Alice Through the Looking Glass was written before the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, so, who was copying who? Does it really matter?  I really don't love either of the stories.

As for this new 'Johnny Depp stars in' Alice in Wonderland movie.... So many people said it was great; I had to go see for myself.  I just didn't love it, and I probably won't go out of my way to watch it again - ever.  Movie-wise, it was good enough, I guess - But I still don't like the story.  The most entertaining part of the movie was listening to the two little boys one row back laughing and yelling at every semi-violent thing, and you can't forget the stunning sound effects of the poor sap throwing up about a gallon of pop in the back row!  Shared incidences like that really bond a crowd of people together like nothing else can - it really is special!

This pretty much sums up my feelings of the movie:



In summary: Alice in Wonderland, 3 stars.

4 comments:

  1. Out of... 3? 4? 7? 3,843,304.7?

    Be more specific.

    And write a blog posting about the effects of your new shoes on global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Out of what?
    Happy Frabjous day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard that it isn't based on the book, it's based on another version of it. I haven't read the book or seen any of the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, How are your new shoes going? And how do they impact global warming? Should I buy a pair?

    ReplyDelete

I like comments