Saturday, December 12, 2009

Return of the youth retreat video

There was a time when I used to play a fairly crucial role in running an annual weekend retreat for my youth group.  It was a TON of work, kept me up late at night, consumed my thoughts for MONTHS, was incredibly stressful, and the absolute HIGHLIGHT of my year!

Our retreats always had themes that sort of kept things flowing throughout the weekend, and linked our games & activities with our bible studies and sessions.    One year, 2006, the theme centred around superheros.  This rather gianormous undertaking involved me making a few videos (with the help of some of the youth) to show at the retreat.

2006 technology not being what it is today, and my personal technology at the time lagging WAY behind anything available in 2006, I patched together something pretty awesome, and the kids loved it!

I then burned the videos onto a 'VCD' (I did not own a DVD burner at the time) so that the videos could be watched on a DVD player.  Erased the files off my computer, had an awesome retreat, and promptly lost the VCD of the videos.   I have litterally been looking for that disk for years!  I have looked everywhere humanly possible, and given it up as a lost cause.

Today, looking for an empty jewel case, what do I find?  THE VCD!!!

Moment of truth: Does it even work anymore??

YES IT DOES!!!

BEST. CHRISTMAS. EVER.

Now... all I have to do is somehow rescue the files off this mysterious VCD formated disk, convert the files to something that is actually playable, and upload to YouTube for all to enjoy!

Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Attempt 1: change files to MPEG, and upload to Facebook. Audio, yes; video, no. *sigh* :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the technology! I can make your video faster, stronger... Etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Internet is full of lots of programs that you can use once to do what you want and then ask you for lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, That would be fun to watch

    ReplyDelete

I like comments