Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Stop! It's ferry time

It is currently about 10pm (Atlantic Time) on Wednesday evening.  Dave & I are sitting in the car, in a lineup of traffic, between rows of transport trucks, waiting.  We're in North Sydney Nova Scotia, and have a 5am ferry to catch to Port aux Basques Newfoundland.  So we're waiting.  In the car.  Until 5am.

Thank the good Lord there is internet here!

We did indeed make good time to Atlantic Canada.  We took a friend home to Peterborough Monday evening, which began our trip East.  We've spent the past two days driving.  And driving, and driving, and driving.  Roughly 25 hours of rocks and trees and farmland and swamp and rocks and trees.  I do love Atlantic Canada for its wide open roads and sparse populations though.  Makes for a fast paced and relatively easy drive.

Newfoundland is a place I've wanted to travel to for a very, very long time.  The rugged scenery draws me there; the trees and rocks and ocean and icebergs and whales and fjords.  I'm excited.  I'm excited to get on the ferry.  I'm excited to be out on the ocean with the wind blowing and the waves splashing and the chance to see some whales and other marine life.  I could care less about visiting St Johns; cities are more stressful than fun to me, so we'll be traveling to Gros Morne National Park, and then up the west coast to St Anthony. 

Hopefully we get a little bit of sleep crammed in the car tonight because that 5am ferry ride is about 6hrs long, and then we have a 4 or 5 hour drive after that to get to Gros Morne.  Then we can finally relax for a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments