Friday, April 13, 2012

3 Months

Today is April 13th.  3 months from today is July 13th - the 'official' due date.  So, to celebrate, here is another list of stuff that I dislike about this whole process:


1. Mama.  *I* am not 'Mama'.  Not to this baby, and definitely not to you.  My name is Amy.  Please continue calling me Amy.  I hate that word 'mama' soooooo much.  Like nails on a chalkboard, only worse.

2.  The 'due date' conversation.  It goes something like this:
"When are you due?"  "Mid-July."  "Yeah, but, when?  What's the actual date?"
Well, friends, technically, according to the fetal measurements taken by the ultrasound tech (who, incidentally, has absolutely no idea when the 'bedroom party' took place), I will be at exactly 40 weeks gestation on July 13th.  However, it is perfectly healthy and normal for a baby to be born anytime between 37 and 42 weeks gestation.  I know someone who recently had a healthy baby at 35 weeks, and someone else who almost went the full 42 weeks.  There is, in fact, only a 5% chance that baby will be born on the doctor-predicted due date.  So, when I say mid-July, it's because no one knows for sure....

3.  The 'baby just has to be born on my birthday' conversation.  From what I've read, baby probably isn't going to make a grand entrance into the world just because it's your birthday - and I'm certainly not going to try to hold it in for an extra day just for your birthday!  Do you have any idea how popular July is as a birthday month?  There's a reasonably good chance that I might hit one of your birthdays, but I can't please all of you! Take solace in the fact that there are only 365 days to the year and over 6 billion people (or is that 7 billion now?) in the world.  You probably share a birthday with at least one other person already.

4. "Geez, do you even have a bump yet?  When I was pregnant I was SOOOO much bigger than you!"   So?  I'm also 6 inches taller than you.  Do you want to fight about it?  Or do you want me to feel sorry for you?  Really, there's not a lot I can do about it, I promise.

5.  "How much weight have your gained anyway?"  That's really none of you *&^$# business.  I hit numbers on the scale yesterday that I've never seen before in my life!  And it didn't feel very good.  And I'm just going to gain more for the next 3 months.  So, buzz off.  ...and pass me the cupcakes.

Oh, and by the way, sisters-in-law get automatic baby-bump touching privileges (mostly because I can't stop them, even when I promise them that the baby isn't kicking), but NO ONE ELSE DOES!!  Just remember, I'm a raging hormonal pregnant woman - I can kill you now and get away with it!

5 comments:

  1. If the baby's not kicking, are you kicking it? I think it's only fair to get in your punches now while it can't defend yourself. Pretty soon it's going to be eating you out of house and home and lessening the chance that you'll ever get to retire before the age of 85.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever successfully kicked your own stomach, Timothy? I do however poke the baby a lot, and my husband yells at me "don't poke the baby!". So I jump around instead, and my husband yells "don't SHAKE the baby!". Then I stand a little too close to the stove, and my husband yells "don't COOK the baby!!". *Sigh*... I can't have any fun anymore. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you do get to make your husband freak out. That must be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you can't wait until mid-October?? Then you can have the little scamp on MY birthday! That'd be so cool! So ... how about it? Can you cross your legs or something??


    Oh, and BTW - how's your soul?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one fully respect (see also: fear your wrath) your right to remain Amy.

    I'd like to point out that July is of course the best month to have a baby. The best babies are born in July.

    Also, can you check and see if you gain any weight if you eat a cadbury creme egg while standing on the scale? For science. :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments