Saturday, March 19, 2011

Supermoon

I'm sure you've all heard about (and if you step outside right now, you could see for yourself) tonight's 'supermoon'.  A phenomenon that happens but once every couple of decades or something like that... The moon's orbit brings it the closest to earth as possible (hasn't been this close since 1992), and just happens to also be a beautifully full moon (these two things haven't lined up since 1983, and won't happen again until 2029 - or so my google research tells me).

I missed the actual moon rise - it's a well known fact that the moon looks way bigger when it's on the horizon (it's an illlluuuuusionnnn); I was actually sitting in a movie theatre at the time watching 'Paul'.  Surprisingly, it was way better than I thought it would be.  Completely full of cursing and fart jokes, but funny and action packed too - just don't take kids with you (I would feel bad about that). 

ANYWAY...  I did manage to catch the moon later in the evening with a nice view from my deck over the water.  My camera is a little old and gimpy these days, but it did an alright job capturing the moment:

  

And, here's a closeup (12x optical zoom, with 40x digital zoom), it needed some minor photoshopping to bring out the detail:


The moon is neat! 
But I don't think I'd ever want to live there  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments