Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Diary of a Bridezilla - Part 1

I am really against putting too much personal information on a public forum, like a blog.  I also don't want my blog to become a dumping ground for all things 'wedding'.  It's just not cool to become so self absorbed, and honestly, who really wants to read about every little detail of my wedding planning?  (I sure don't)  So I have been actively avoiding writing about anything wedding-related.

However, when all of one's 'down-time' is filled with booking halls, finding caterers, and DJs, and photographers, filling gift registries, designing invitations, digging up addresses of long lost relatives, and avoiding questions about dresses and colours and bridesmaids....  There really isn't a whole lot of time left in the day to come up with anything else to blog about.

So I'll just apologize now.  If it's any consolation, it'll be all over in four short months.

Personally, I'm very excited for the wedding to be over!  I do look forward to marriage.  I am quite delighted to spend the rest of my days with a man whom I love and enjoy being with.  But if you know me at all, you'll also know that I hate being the centre of attention and, as of yet, do not see the joy in standing in front of 200 people while blubbering 'I do'.

'Happiest Day of my Life' my a$$!  More like 'most anxiety-filled and stressful day of my life'!

I do however believe that wedding vows are important and should be carried out in a public forum.  It's really a task that must be followed through to the end, a charge, a rite of passage.  As a priestly aquaintence of mine wrote just recently:

Marriage is a public ceremony.   The commitment spouses make is not just to one another – but to the Church and to the state.    Marriage is called a “sacrament of service,” since it benefits not only the couples themselves, but the Church and society.   Married couples bring children into the world – future members of the community and the Church.   They raise them to be good citizens and good Christians.  ...The celebration of marriage should never be a private celebration, but “open to the public,” since the commitment made is to serve the public.   For this reason, marriage is celebrated in a public place: the church.

 A little heavy on the Catholisim maybe, but, marriage is an institution and to enter the institution you must go through all the steps (whether you like them or not!).  And as my husband-to-be so gently puts it: 'Suck it up buttercup, it's only for one day.'

I do feel much better about the whole thing now that
-the date is set
-the location is secure
-the officient is available
-the reception hall is booked
-the DJ is booked
-the photographer is booked
-the caterer is booked
-the bar & alcohol are looked after
-invitations are almost ready to be printed
-the guest list is ready for final edits
-a gift registry has been started
-etc, etc, etc

It's been a busy 3 weeks.
 

3 comments:

  1. Got your reception flash mob arranged? All the weddings have them these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... if by 'Flash mob' you mean a group of people, organized by social media, that will show up at a pre-arranged time to use the bar and make fools of themselves on the dance floor. Then, yes. I'm pretty sure my slow-pitch team will be taking care of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I for one hope you blog about your wedding preparations over and over again. I love reading about what you are doing since I never see you!

    You've done amazingly well in such a short time! And it will be awesome, don't worry about being hte centre of attention. The only thing you will notice that day is Dave and how lucky you are to be surrounded by so many people who love you both.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments