Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dawn of the Treadmill Runner

So I've been testing a new diet over the past year or so.

You know how Asians typically have longer lifespans than the rest of us, and most people attribute it to their diet?

Yeah, well, I've been eating Chinese food once or twice a week for the past year, and let me tell you, it does NOT work!

Worst. Diet. Ever.

I'm also lazy.  Exceptionally lazy.  I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle; I mean, I sit in front of a computer all day at work, and then sit in front of a tv all evening after work.  I'm pretty sure that my grade 11 gym class was about the last time I actually did anything remotely active.  (I may be exaggerating, but you get the point.)

So, I did what I imagine most of the female population did around the annual resolution-making time, I promised myself that I'd be more active.  I then strapped on my boots and went for a walk, and it felt really good!

The next day, I went again.  It was pitch black outside, and my bf wasn't too very impressed.  He didn't think it was very safe.  But I had my cellphone and a flashlight, so off I went.

The next day, the temperature dropped to -25; it felt like hell had actually frozen over, and there was no way I was going outside in that!  Back to the couch.

The next day, I realized that I had already walked all the streets in my little village at least twice, and there was nowhere new and exciting to explore.  Where's the fun in that??  Back to the couch.

The next day,... ah, who am I kidding?  There was no 'next day'!  It's so much easier just to stay inside when it's cold and dark outside.

But Health Canada had just released their new fitness guidelines, and they were mocking me.  Adults are supposed to get 150 minutes of moderate (break a sweat sort of thing) exercise a week.  And apparently building your thumb dexterity on a video game controller just isn't enough!  Who knew?  So, with new resolve for more activity, I went in search of something exercise-y.

That's when I found out that treadmills come on sale but once a year, and 'now' was when it happens. 

I'm pretty opposed to gimmicky exercise equipment - the stuff that has you bent into all sorts of awkward poses, doing things with your body that a body just isn't meant to do; the stuff that they advertise on tv with the hulk-like guys with the rippling abs (that they got simply from using this machine for 30 minutes a day!  [and steroids]).  They're awkward.  They're boring.  And they don't work.

But a treadmill; that's like walking. 
I like walking! 
And it can be done in front of a TV! 
I like TV! 
AND, it's on sale! 
SOLD!

With jests of 'that's going to be a really expensive clothes hanger!' ringing in my ear, I made a purchase.  That's when I found out that my mom had just bought one too!  Great minds think alike, eh?

So here I am, a new treadmill owner.  And if the thoughts of being active and healthy and fit don't motivate me to use it, the amount of cash I paid for it certainly will!

I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. I joined the military. I guess a treadmill would've been a less extreme answer to fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm jealous of your treadmill purchase.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments