Thursday, April 15, 2010

Food Inc

I don't have TV.  That doesn't mean that I don't watch TV, just that I don't find TV important enough to pay money for (rabbit ears don't work where I live, so it's cable, satellite, or nothing).  So I watch TV online - legally, streamed from the television station websites themselves.  It gives me the freedom to watch tv shows pretty much whenever I want, and mostly commercial free.  It's a pretty sweet deal actually (as long as the internet is running smoothly).

Anyway... I was browsing the CBC website and they had last week's episode of The Passionate Eye advertised (April 11th). They were playing 'Food Inc', which is a documentary about where our food comes from.  This documentary was even nominated for an Oscar, so to find it playing on CBC was a small miracle.  Naturally, I started watching it at lunchtime just to see what it's all about.

I've only watched about 20 minutes of an 1 1/2hr long film, but what I've already seen is enough to make me start to question the food I put into my mouth.  If you get a chance to watch it, do.  Just the fact that there is corn by-product in just about every single bite of food we eat makes me wonder what we're doing to ourselves.  :S

I was a farm kid.  I've seen where good food comes from.  There is a huge difference between the way food on the family farm is produced and the way food on a factory farm is produced - and it is gross.  Makes me really appreciate picking weeds by hand out of the garden and chasing cattle around.  When I grow up, I will have a garden of my own.  A big one.

If you missed the show, you can watch it here:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/ID=1464545109

1 comment:

  1. I watched that documentary too. Very disturbing when I think back to the difference in how our cattle were treated.

    We're trying to make changes in our household (although not because of the documentary).
    -growing a lot of our produce
    -getting our meat from Chinatown (vs the big chain grocery stores), who gets them from the Hitterites (similary to Mennonites)
    -supporting the idea of urban chickens
    -picking up bison from southern Alberta (when we're in the area)
    -making a lot of our meals from scratch (pasta, bread, pizza, sauces, soup, desserts)

    We still have a long way to go but I already notice a difference in the taste of our food. We had some prepackaged food on Sunday and all I could taste was salt. And the tomato sauce from the store last week was way too sweet.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments