Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ugly

"The Ugly Truth". Oh... what can I say? You know when you're watching tv and you get caught offguard with a questionable sitcom sex joke, and you really want to laugh but there's that awkward moment where you catch a glimpse of your mother and you realize that if you laugh she might just judge your moral integrity, so you stifle your laugh like it was a horrendous seizure-like sneeze/coughing fit because she raised you better than to laugh at smutty sex jokes?

I remember way back in high school a friend of mine telling me that he censored a lot of the movies his parents would watch; he'd preview them and decide if they were appropriate for his parents. At the time, I thought this was a little strange and backwards. But over the years, I have started doing the same thing - buying a movie, watching it, and if it is parent-worthy, passing it along to them to watch. Because, as we all know, parents are generally not informed, nor on top of today's societal acceptance of 'what's cool', nor should they be subjected to any sort of crass behaviour or rude language. Parents, after all, are not human and so they should be sheltered from all fallible human behaviour (fiction or otherwise) lest they think disparaging thoughts about us, their children, and the sort of smut we watch at the movies.

So when my parents invited me along to see 'The Ugly Truth' with them this evening, I assumed it was a nice fun family-friendly romantic comedy. :)

Boy... was I wrong!

What do you do when you're sitting in a theatre, beside your parents, and the cleanest joke in the whole movie would make your grandmother roll over in her grave??

*sigh* Just laugh. I did, they did, we had fun. Apparently, I am now officially old enough to sit beside my parents and laugh at dirty jokes without being embarrassed about it. My dad putting his arm around my shoulder after the movie was over and asking me if I had learned anything on the other hand....

In other news, my cousin happened to drop by my place just as I was coming back from the movie theatre! Perfect timing! She lives in Calgary, so it was fun to catch up with her.

Also, Elizabeth May (yes, THAT Elizabeth May, leader of the Green Party) is going to be speaking tomorrow evening here in town. Outdoor venue, music beforehand, nice weather, maybe I'll go. Afterall, she is thinking of running in our riding in the next election - could be history in the making in my own backyard!

4 comments:

  1. I would totally vote green in your riding. Poor Jolly, he's getting kicked out for his leader to take all of the glory for the hard work he has done to earn the green votes.

    I have a lower tolerance for smut in movies then my parents do. I think not watching TV for the past two years makes me super sensitive to violence and language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolley sort of screwed up when he had charges laid against him...

    Hibma did alright, but really didn't have a chance against our local conservative front runner. Having a 'celebrity' to vote for (ie: the party leader) might swing the vote, but realistically, I doubt it. Not yet anyway.

    I don't recommend you watch The Ugly Truth. ...movie trailers can be so misleading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green party. BOOOO! They are not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous...
    You prolly shouldn't read my next entry!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments